Monday, November 28, 2011


At the beginning of 2004, at the age of 54, I began to put brush to oil to canvas and started painting. The impetus came from selling on eBay. I started selling on eBay when I was looking for some reproductions of Classical statuary from ancient Greece, Rome and the Renaissance.
I couldn’t find anything that wasn't draped or "fig-leafed" in the realm of male statues even though there were plenty of naked lady statues for sale. I decided this wasn't fair and I started selling reproductions of the statues that were not draped or "fig-leafed".
After a few months of selling statue reproductions I noticed that folks were selling classical painting reproductions on canvas on eBay. I ordered one to see what I thought of it. I was surprised to find out that what was being offered was totally within my ability to produce as well.
I started garnering high-resolution images of the classics and started improving the quality of those images and began selling prints on both canvas and paper. Within a couple of months I was discovering images that needed some touching up. So I started touching up those images by printing them on high quality paper and painting to touch them up.
It wasn't long before I took the leap and started painting images of my own. I quickly decided that my preferred medium was oil on canvas. I was amazed to find out that oil dries very slowly and can be touched up for days and days...time enough for me to get just the effect that I am looking for.



My first image is still for sale on eBay, I It was first produced by painting oil on paper, and that was October, 2003. My first oil on canvas is also still for sale on eBay, Waiting for Me (see the bottom of this page) and that dates from February, 2004. I don't sell the original paintings, just high quality prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment